Can my primary care physician refer me to a back specialist or surgeon?
"Common back pain is probably best treated by a chiropractor or your primary care physician, especially considering it can take a while to get in to see an orthopedic surgeon.

But if things do not get better, and you haven't responded to the initial conservative treatment – anti-inflammitories, exercise programs and other medication – then a referral to a specialist is warranted. But unless you're having severe pain, weakness or accompanying pain in your arms or legs, start with your primary care physician."